Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chungking Express

"Coolest movie", and very enjoyable. The movie consists of 2 stories of 2 cops, who just had a breakup. It's brilliant in the way the mundane-ness of everyday life is shown so interesting...

...giving voice to our irrational thoughts,
Cop223: We're all unlucky in love sometimes. When I am, I go jogging. The body loses water when you jog, so you have none left for tears.
Cop223:We split up on April Fool's Day. So I decided to let the joke run for a month. Every day I buy a can of pineapple with a sell-by date of May 1. May loves pineapple, and May 1 is my birthday. If May hasn't changed her mind by the time I've bought thirty cans, then our love will also expire.

...giving form to the spirits within, the way Faye Wong dances for the "California Dreaming" going on and on and loud, to block all the thoughts, and hand-held camera work, enigma.. the Blond-raincoat-and-shades-wearing-Asian-girl: Somehow I've become very cautious. When I put on a raincoat, I put on sunglasses too. Who knows when it will rain, or when it will turn out sunny?

...giving music that takes you right into the scene, Hindustani raagas, Reggae, California Dreaming all so well mixed and just right for the scene.




And here's Quentin Tarantino on Chungking Express

No comments: